Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Open the eyes of my heart, Lord."

51 “What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him.

The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.”

52 “Go,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.


Is it really that simple? Do we only need but to ask God "let me see" ? I almost dismissed this verse and went on about my day but the Holy Spirit, with His small voice that sometimes isn't so small, tugged at me to read it again. And again. Until it got into my spirit. How many time do I miss the very thing Jesus has for me, or maybe something He has for someone else THROUGH me, because I have not said to Him "I want to see"?

I know that I have the faith that blind Bartimeus had, but most of the time I don't have the concern. Because my eyesight is fine (albeit getting worse by the day due to age) I ignore my heart sight alot. I trust myself to "see" what's around me; to notice when others are hurting or need my help, but lets face it-this life is a race; a total all out sprint sometimes; and we miss alot of things going on around us!

How many times have you been made aware of a situation right under your nose that you just didn't SEE for the longest time? Just imagine how many times we completely miss those in people we barely know; a sick neighbor, the death of a coworkers spouse, a despondent single mom at our church, etc... I pray that Jesus would give me "eyes to see and ears to hear" the cries of those I come into contact with; That I wouldn't be blind to those I could minister to by sharing a scripture verse, a short prayer, a compassionate touch, or even just a kind word. 'Lord, I want to see.'

2 comments:

Bre said...

Beautiful Liz! God has blessed you to see and hear. God has blessed me to have you in my life. Keep doing what you do!

Anonymous said...

Keep on saying it...thanks for sharing your thoughts!!