Thursday, June 9, 2011

Fire In My Bones

Unveiled- Post by Liz Ketcher Catlin

I'm doing a solo study on "GIFTS" and how the gifts that God gives to each of us (1 Cor 12) can either be used to maximize the furthering of God's kingdom, or wasted; lots of conviction here. At 48 years of age I realize how much time I have wasted "scratching and clawing" through my 20's and 30's, in search of so many insignificant things- using my talents (there aren't alot, but there are some :) and giftings for all the wrong things, either to promote myself or elevate our status as a family in what ever arena I felt was important at the time (church, my childrens activities, organiztions, etc...) or just for my own amusement and feelings of self-worth. How sad.

One gift that comes naturally to me is my gift of faith; It comes easy for me to see God using everything -good and bad- in my life to not only help me (because He loves me) but to use it to further His kingdom (because He loves you). Doesn't mean I like it when I have to go through something horrible, just that I can see the greater good; I think it's part of my RED TYPE A personality- I want things done well, and I want them done now, so if there are any steps that can help me bypass wasting time, or incurring even more suffering, in order for my light to shine on God's redeeming qualities, then I want to go that route, and think everyone else should too! With that mentality, coupled with my fierce belief in God-that He is who He says He is, and is capable of all He says He can do- it has always propelled me to tell what I know because I truly, truly believe Romans 8:28 "As we know that for those who love God ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD for those called according to His purpose".

Notice it does not say "all things ARE good" but "all things work together FOR good for those who love God ( are His followers). Big difference in the wording; God doesn't desire for bad things to happen to His people, but through our own poor choices (or those around us whose choices and consequences affect us directly) "stuff happens". But we can see in that scripture that God USES these things to work good out of even the worst of circumstances, for those who love Him. As a parent I can understand this; if my child or grandchild had a devastating situation, through his or someones's making, and I could not only alleviate the pain, but use the situation to better another area in their life, I'd do it in a heart beat; how much more does God our Heavenly Father want to do that for us? And better yet, HE has the capability of doing so!!!

Okay...all that to say "Comfort those who are in ANY affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God" - 2 Cor 1:4. If you have a past experience (and who doesn't?) and even if it was or still is devastating to you, but you have seen God's hand move miraculously through it, share that with another person going through your pain. How selfish to lock that away, pretend it didn't happen or that all is well in your life-PFFT! Everyone can see through it anyway, because no one is exempt in this life fromm pain or disappointment. How much greater is it to tell someone "this is what God did in my life" or even "this is what God is DOING in my life". You have a point of reference from which to share; someone else may not. That's why God entrusted you with that particular experience...because He knew you would have opportunity to give others hope; restore their souls; teach them about His grace and mercy.

The Bible talks about in Hebrews 12 about running a race with a great many onlookers, this could be applied to our daily lives as well; there are those looking to see how we are handing the problems life deals to us, so why not use that oppportunity to show them them love and faithfulness of an Almighty God? To me it's the equivalent of "hiding your light under a bushel".

If you walk around with a veil covering your hurts then the only winner of the battle is satan.He gets to keep you covered in the pain of it all, hidden behind embarrassment, humiliation, and despair; all things that Jesus himself most likely felt while naked hanging on a cross. But instead of remaining in an empty tomb (of death and doubt) He overcame with the victory of God's grace and power! (Gen 50:19) "as for you (satan) you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good".

Today, ask yourself "what trial or past experience do I hide from those around me, that in talking about God's restorative power may strip satan of any he has over someone? You could give new meaning to the advertisement for blood donors "Give the gift of life". It's the words of our testimonies that have the power of life. What has God done for you and how canit help others?

No comments: