Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Kitten in the Courtyard

Several months back my husband created an area of tranquility for me in our backyard. He put in a fountain that flows into a small creekbed complete with river rocks and just enough sound of splashing water to disguise the busyness of the neighborhood. We surrounded the creek with beautiful flowers and plants that bloom year round with some sort of vibrant color; added a swing and trees, and the result is what we call the courtyard. It truly is a small area of tranquility and peace, great for losing yourself in thought, spending time talking to God, or in my husbands case...a nap on the swing. It's where I go to gather my thoughts and my strength. Yesterday as I was making the bed, with my two shadows playing beside me (our 2 dogs; one boxer and one pug) I looked out the window that overlooks the courtyard and noticed this cute little kitten making it's way tentatively across the stone paths; weaving itself among the plants, up the path that leads to the fountain...knowing that cats and dogs are usually natural enemies,and also that our boxer is very territorial concerning people and animals on our property, I expected a loud warning of intrusion any minute. Much to my surprise, neither dog was aware of the kitten roaming only 4 foot away from them on the other side of the window! It was allowed to stealthly make it's way in and out of the beautiful flowers; interrupting the peace and tranquility there just by it's presence alone, not because we dislike cats, although we do, lol, but because it didn't belong there. And our boxer, who has come to be known as our warning system and over all bouncer of all things undesired, was obliviously to it! Watching the entire thing unfold and being a little miffed at the dog's lack of attentiveness of the invasion (ok, a little strongly worded, but still...) God, as usual, decided to use the scenario as a life lesson for me. I felt the Holy Spirit asking me, " aren't you guilty of the same thing at times? Don't you get so caught up in life and "playtime" that you completely miss the enemy sneaking around, trying to destroy your peace? There are times he is right in front of you, weaving in and out, creating division; but because you aren't paying attention you miss seeing him until it's too late. He's allowed to plunder through your life undetected because you are too busy to notice that your enemy is only 4 foot from your window." Needless to say the situation took on new meaning, so then I did what comes natural (at least to me) I got angry at the dog! Trying to assuage my own guilt I called the boxer to the window, which by the way, the stupid cat was now peering into, as it hovered over the side of the fountain onto which it had climbed...there was no way our guardian of peace at Casa Catlin was going to miss it, right? Wrong. The two of them are literally inches apart, separated only by a pane of glass, but because the dog was so distracted in a game of tug-of-war with a dumb rubber bone he completely missed the threat. Again, a prompting from the Holy Spirit, "that's what you do. You play tug-of-war with your life...constantly trying to pull life towards you; the life you think you are suppose to be leading, when all you really need to do is let go of the rope (or in this case bone) and I'll give you both ends." God is so cool. I love the way He takes simple things and turns them into great truths to be revealed. Personally I like it better when He's revealing it in someone elses life and I just get to learn from it rather than being the example of "what not to do" but I guess that's still better than letting me ignorantly traipse through life thinking my life is peaceful and tranquil while the enemy of my soul sits perched a few inches away waiting to create havoc. My prayer is this...that we are more aware of our spiritual surroundings; particular about who and what we allow to invade our peace...cautious that we don't get so caught up in playing at life that we miss the kitten in the courtyard.

No comments: